Choosing the right supplements that promote balance and relaxation can help you get to sleep and stay asleep.
- Chamomile is a mild tranquilizer that is often found in teas. It has been used for centuries to lull its consumer into gentle sleep.
- Valerian is a popular botanical that has been used to improve sleep quality in many cultures. It helps you sleep by protecting GABA (Helps muscles to relax and settles anxiety. See #5.) from breaking down.
- Lemon balm and passionflower both help when sleep is being disturbed by stress or anxiety. They also aid in soothing the difficulties of falling asleep and similar to valerian, they improve the calming effect of GABA.
- L-Theanine is an amino acid that is a precursor to the production of GABA (see below).
- GABA calms the body by balancing neurotransmitters such as dopamine and helps to relax the muscles and lessens anxiety.
- Phosphatidylserine is useful especially if the issue is chronic stress. Frequent awakenings in the early morning and the subsequent inability to fall asleep is soothed by this nutrient.
- Melatonin may help to rebuild neurotransmitters that regulate the circadian rhythm.
- 5-HTP is necessary for the production of serotonin, which is essential for a good night’s rest.